Saturday, April 26, 2008

bilbao after work drinks

The Ritchie installation went smoothly and around 4 yesterday we called it complete. Traveling and writing must go together on so many levels, but when there is little time to really define the experience it comes out in really short bursts. so here goes.
Jorge, KePa, Baia where the key players, they dared communicate the first day in english, I chickened out until the second or third. Once I tried they warmed up immensely as did I, we'd draw pictures of the things we needed, learn bits of Basque, they were fantastic and all of them had worked on murals at one point so the piece looked good to. Pedro has been our greatest bridge to the crew and the city. and I can tell he is having a wonderful time now that he can see the end of the Rickrit, tough after this night of drinking he may need to take two steps back. Jose may be my best friend in a past life. His personality and demeanor is so familiar and genuine. As the crews leader apparently he can be a raging tyrant as well. Over the drinks his red bearded smile did it's best to explain the appreciation of the crew we were working with. "KePa knew 50 english words, he's never spoken to the Couriers before" KePa is the joker and I wanted very much to understand his wit. The beer induced evening began as most after work get togethers do. At the "local" bar, the "old man bar" equivalent. In this group they knew the shop owners near by and chatted with them on the corner, though did not sit down, a friendly passing by. I met Katherine, who'd been working with Nathan, she took no time expressing her regret for not being able to work with Mike and I. Nathan can be a bit difficult. Apparently talking trash about someone right in front of them is a wonderful stress reducer. Katherine and, ugh I forgot her name, but she is my new best friend. I got to hang out with the Girls and it was wonderful, we poured ourselves into the tiny restroom and applied makeup and Catherine gave me the greatest piece of advice. "Always assume you look as wonderful as you did when you got ready to go in the morning." and of course, she did.