Wednesday, March 13, 2002

So this is all I am doing
really. the weather has been too unpredictable for work, so I go riding between the storms.
you're gonna kill that horse. Rick #1 trying to be funny. This is the first time the man with un-decidedly fake? teeth has actually talked to me.
Uuh?
That horse hasn't ever had that much attention without a boot to the ribs.
I'm spraying mane and tail and brushing out Denny's long, sandy brown tail, just so he can get super dirty again in the paddock later. smiles
My sister has decided that she likes Denny. She's never seen him before, but I think she appreciates a good Headcase.
Brush Brush brush. I start singing a Denny song about the dirt and fur flying. "Stanley Cleaners. Tough on dirt! Gentle on carpet" Usually I sing Al Green.
The Five Chairs, which seats one or two on weekdays, but in general is just the folks milling around, have all agreed or commented, that Denny is noticeably calmer than he used to be. I fail to mention the Special K I've added to his grain, because I don't think anyone would think it funny. Pat pat. Denny's getting shinny and seemed to appreciate my archeological dig with the hoof pick. clean clean clean, and saddled, and Hackmored. Pam, was dully impressed that I'd chosen to stay with the Hackmore. I guess I am training this horse. Okay. Pam's encouraging words, every time a horse has something bad happen to him it takes 1000 times to convince him it won't happen again and Fortuando happened to him for 2 years. Fortunado.
I haven't gotten mad about the past and cruelty this horse had to endure while everyone watched. Everyone here has this live and let live mentality. When they see evil, they turn their heads, yet when they see good there is a shower of encouragement and when something seems to go wrong Woodie quietly takes a couple head to auction. This is how it works, for now, yet I wonder if The Five Chairs will change their heart as they watch me care for this no name horse. Most of the trail horses come with no name, a 12 year old horse gets a new name, how depressing. I rally for Denny like a lobbyist. As long as people talk about him, he'll stay popular, for now he's thought of as "Fortunado's horse, look at him now."
Go for a ride
Denny likes the wind as much as I do, so we charged through the valley wind swept and chatty. Blah blah blah, and more Al Green. He's much calmer today, hardly a quiver, didn't sweat nearly as much, though he did try to brain me several times, tossing his head back. The hangliders are out in fleets today flying just below the heavy gray clouds. Alex and her crazy Mare are reigned tight, but it's an English reign so that's okay. I'm glad Denny's just a junkie. Crazy seems a bit harder to negotiate.